We are currently accepting applications for 2024-2025!
The Buttonwood Park Zoo offers an externship program designed for veterinary students with a serious interest in zoological medicine. The goals of our program are to educate students on the daily responsibilities of the zoo veterinarian and to provide practical and clinical experience working with zoo animals. Students will be asked to complete a project and present it to vet staff at the end of their program. We do not provide student housing, so any student interested in our program will be required to find their own housing.
Veterinary Student Preceptorship Required Qualifications:
You must meet the required qualifications in order to apply for the internship.
- Third or fourth-year veterinary student from an AVMA-accredited veterinary school
- Strong interest in zoological veterinary medicine
- Experience with zoo/exotic animals and/or wildlife
- Proof of negative TB test within 3 months of start date
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest
- Two letters of recommendation sent directly to Buttonwood Park Zoo
- List of dates you are interested in attending the program (2-8 weeks recommended)