Animal Care Program
We are currently accepting applications for animal care volunteers and interns. If you are interested in volunteering with the Zoo, please follow the appropriate instructions for each position.
See application deadlines and start dates below.
ANIMAL CARE VOLUNTEER
Animal Care Volunteers work with animal caretakers in their areas assisting in the daily cleaning and disinfecting, diet preparation and distribution, enrichment activities, data collection, and exhibit maintenance.
Did you know BPZOO also has an active aquatics team specializing in salt-water fish and invertebrates like coral? Candidates with a passion or experience in marine science and marine biology are encouraged to apply!
Please note: direct animal contact is limited and is at the discretion of the animal caretaker.
- Serious interest in all animals and their behavior & habits, husbandry, enrichment, training, and conservation
- Volunteers must be at least 17 years old
- Be physically fit – must be able to lift 50lbs and be on feet for long periods
- Commitment of one, two or three full 8 hour shifts per week for at least a semester (Fall, Spring, Summer). Shifts are 7AM – 4PM from November – March, and 8AM – 5PM from March – November due to daylight savings time.
To apply to be an Animal Care Volunteer:
- Please complete the Buttonwood Park Zoo Volunteer Application
- All applications will be reviewed once the deadline passes for each semester. Please note, an application is not a guarantee of an interview or offer due to the competitive nature and skills required for this program position.
|summer 2022||fall 2022||spring 2023|
|Application due||march 15||july 5||november 5|
|Orientation date||beginning of may||end of august||beginning of january|
|Start Date||may 15||september 4||january|
|end date||september 3||december 17||may|
ANIMAL CARE INTERNSHIP – UNPAID
BPZOO is a host site for Animal Care Internships if your school offers academic credit for volunteer animal care service. If this is the case, when applying for the animal care volunteer program, indicate that you are eligible for an internship, listing your school and requirements. All positions are highly competitive and not guaranteed.
To apply to be an Animal Care Intern:
- Complete the Buttonwood Park Zoo Intern Application
The Buttonwood Park Zoological Society is now a Certified Service Enterprise. Certified Service Enterprises join the top 11% of organizations in volunteer management and organizational performance. This means we are better equipped to align your passions and skills with meaningful volunteer positions that have an impact!
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org