Veterinary Science Internship
Responsibilities: These interns function in two roles: one is shadowing the veterinarian on clinical cases and the other is as an assistant to the Veterinary Technician. When working with the veterinarian, the intern will shadow clinical cases and medicine. This includes weekly rounds, assessment, triage, giving necessary care as directed by the animal care staff, animal transport (if needed), and maintenance of records and databases. When functioning as Assistant to the Veterinary Technician, the intern provides support to the Veterinary Technician. This includes setting up supplies/equipment prior to procedures, maintenance of stock/supplies in the veterinary hospital, clean-up after procedures, cleaning/packing/sterilizing instruments and assistance with sample preparation and related laboratory paperwork. The intern will also spend several days shadowing various nutrition and animal care (keepers) throughout their period at the zoo and be responsible for giving a seminar-style presentation or similar project at the end of their internship.
Required Qualifications: You must meet the required qualifications in order to apply for the internship.
- Sophomore, junior, senior, or recent college graduate
- Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Life Science, or related major
- Computer proficiency with word processing and data entry
- Strong interest in veterinary medicine
- Ability to speak in front of groups
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Direct animal care experience (minimum of six months working directly with animals)
- Valid driver’s license
- Proof of negative TB test within the last six months
- Résumé (outlining all of your required qualifications)
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest
- College transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Two letters of recommendation (one personal and one professional/academic)
- Dates you are interested in (12-16 weeks recommended. 10 weeks minimum)
Please send all required materials to Dr. Whitney Greene at: Whintey.Greene@newbedford-ma.gov. You may be contacted after submitting your application for additional information and/or an interview.