Buttonwood Park Zoological Society Employment Opportunities
The Buttonwood Park Zoological Society employs staff for the North Woods Gift Store, ride operators, overnight and scout program instructors, ZooCrew counselors, and special event staff.
Available Positions Within the Buttonwood Park Zoological Society:
Part-Time After Hours Educator
Our After Hours Programs give guests an exclusive tour of the Zoo while inspiring a deeper understanding and connection to our natural world through animal encounters, education, and games. The part-time After Hours Educator assists in the delivery of educational Programs that support the Zoo’s commitment to wildlife and habitat conservation. You will be working with other After Hours Educators to give guests a unique Zoo experience that they will cherish for a lifetime. Shifts are March through June on Friday and Saturday evenings (Twilight Tour shifts will run roughly 4:30pm – 9:00pm for both staff members) or evenings into mornings (Critter Camp-Ins will run from roughly 4:30pm – 10:30pm for one staff member and 4:30pm – 9:00am for the other).
- Deliver informal educational experiences to groups of children and their chaperones, including Animal Ambassador encounters, tours, and games.
- Guide guests through the Zoo after dark and share information on our resident animals including but not limited to: species specific information, personal history, and conservation messaging.
- Utilize the Science on a Sphere to enhance guest experience.
- When assigned, spend the night at the Zoo to continue the After Hours Program in the morning.
- Educators will sleep in a room separate from guests but must be able to attend to guests at any point in the night if required.
- Set up, facilitate use of, and clean up designated spaces for meals, Animal Ambassador encounters, and sleeping areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Collaborate effectively with Overnight Coordinator and other staff member present for assigned shifts.
- Ability to work closely with the public, communicate with all age groups, and deal with the public in a courteous and respectful manner, regardless of the situation.
- Strong commitment to quality education in the Zoo world.
- Knowledge of and passion for wildlife, ecology, and conservation. Must be comfortable working in close proximity to wild & domestic animals in a zoo setting.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Work attitude focuses on positive professionalism and integrity.
Please note that other appropriate, professional tasks and responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of the Overnight Coordinator. The After Hours Educator position is an at-will position of the Buttonwood Park Zoological Society.
- Reliable transportation to and from the Buttonwood Park Zoo
- Previous education and/or animal husbandry experience preferred, but not required
- Bilingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com. Alternatively, a single package of all requested elements may be submitted to Buttonwood Park Zoo, Attn: Laurel Ridgway, 425 Hawthorn St, New Bedford, MA 02740.
Don’t see any open positions that fit what you’re looking for? Volunteering is a wonderful way to gain direct experience. For more information about volunteering at the Zoo, please visit our Volunteer Page.