The Buttonwood Park Zoo and Zoo Society employ many talented people with a variety of backgrounds.
The City of New Bedford employs the Administrative, Animal Care, Education, Maintenance and Veterinary Staff. The city is not hiring for any of these departments at this time. Visit the City of New Bedford’s website for more information about employment with the City of New Bedford.
The Buttonwood Park Zoo Society employs the staff in the Membership, Gift Store, Café, Train, Carousel, overnights, scout programs and special events.
Don’t see any open positions that fit what you’re looking for? Volunteering is a wonderful way to gain direct experience. For more information about volunteering at the Zoo, please visit our Volunteer Page.
Seasonal Staff: To apply for this position, please pick-up and fill out an application form on site.
Summer Zoo Crew Program Instructor
Summer Zoo Crew Program Instructor will be in charge of a group of 12-15 participants (can be between the ages of 5 years – 10 years old) for one week sessions. Responsible for delivering a daily program that includes; zoo tours, arts and crafts, animal presentations and information, games and recreation as well as an environmental education lessons. Lessons include the topics of ecology, zoology, conservation and biology.
The Summer Zoo Crew Program Instructor position will work Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week (July 7th – August 22th, this includes one week of training), 8:30am – 4:30pm. This is a non-benefited, seasonal position.
- Must have an education/teaching background. Animal handling ability is a plus but not necessary. Ability to lead a group, speak publicly, manage groups of children and create an atmosphere of enjoyment and learning.
- CPR / First Aid certification preferred.
- Working knowledge in the field of education, zoology, biology, recreation, or related field.
- Previous camp, education and/or science experience preferred. Ability to work well with people of all ages. Must be able to follow directions. Must be responsible, dependable, creative, flexible, and enthusiastic.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and walk long distances.
- Must be able to work outside in varying conditions.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Successful candidates must pass background check and TB test.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead full and half day camps for children ages 5 – 10.
- Responsible for organized activities, crafts, tours and live animal encounters.
- Responsible for the set-up and clean up of daily activities and interacting with Zoo Staff, interns, and volunteers.
To apply please send your resume to:
Buttonwood Park Zoo
Attn: Jen Collier
425 Hawthorn St.
New Bedford, MA 02740